Thursday, September 27, 2012

Book 28: Gold by Chris Cleave

This is the 3rd book I've read by Chris Cleave and is probably my second favorite.  I don't know why, but Little Bee just didn't grab me the way it grabbed most people I know.  I loved Incendiary (his first novel) the best because that book made me think about life in a different way. 

This book is completely different, in my opinion.  This is the story of three Olympic-grade cyclists and a little girl who is fighting cancer.  The book explores the price of fame, the price of a happy family, and the price of friendship.  I was sucked in and couldn't put it down for the last 50 pages, something that I haven't felt in quite awhile. 

Has anyone else read any of Cleave's books?  Did you love Little Bee?  If so, why?  Maybe I'm misremembering the book...

1 comment:

  1. I read Little Bee and I liked it, but it didn't really grab me either. And the summery on the back--we're not going to tell you anything about the story because it's so good--kind of pissed me off. But I did love the writing, so I want to try another. Maybe I'll pick up this one or Incendiary.

    ReplyDelete